Underwriting has many of the advantages over paid advertising. Consider the following:
- Radio reaches more adult consumers over all other media at 93% weekly reach.
- Community radio has a more diverse listening audience, so that you can reach more people than with a single format station.
- Underwriters' messages are more likely to be heard. While 79% of listeners change the station when a commercial block comes on, listeners are more likely not to be bothered by the messages of underwriters.
- Underwriters are held in higher regard than advertisers; They are attributed the same values as the station they support, called the “halo" effect.
- Community radio is more trusted than mainstream media. Lei Guo (2017) reports “community radio continues to be relevant in today's digital era... [people] consider community radio as the most trustworthy."
- Your support is tax deductible!
1. Pew Research Center, 2017; 2. Neilson Reports, 2018; 3 .The Pandora/Added Value Survey, 2012;; 4. NPR's Underwriting Research Project, 2013
Underwriting identifies but does not promote. Underwriting CAN include:
- The name of the underwriter
- The underwriter’s products &/or services
- The corporate slogan (if not promotional)
- The location of business
- The telephone number
- The web address
Underwriting CANNOT include:
- Qualitative language (e.g., best or lowest)
- Price or value information
- Solicitation of direct consumer response
Please consider underwriting Radio Free Roanoke, WROE-LP 95.7. By funding our operating costs, your underwriting helps support these goals:
- To provide our audience with high-quality programming that is both entertaining and educational.
- To give a voice and provide media access to the diverse populace of the Roanoke Valley, especially underserved communities.
- To support and promote the vibrant local music scene that is in Roanoke.